Special court issues arrest warrant against ex-minister
Kochi: Five days after the Supreme Court
sentenced former Kerala minister R Balakrishnan Pillai to
one-year imprisonment in a corruption case, the special court
which tried the case, here today directed police to execute an
arrest warrant against him before February 19.
The court gave the direction while rejecting a petition
filed by Pillai seeking time for the execution of the arrest
warrant on health grounds.
Reacting to the development, Pillai said he would
surrender before the court on February 18.
"My plea has been rejected. I will surrender before the
court on February 18. If the police wants to arrest me before
that date I would co-operate with them," Pillai told media.
Pillai, leader of the Kerala Congress (B) and a former
Electricity Minister in the Congress-led UDF Government, was
awarded the punishment by the Apex Court alongwith a former
Chairman of the Kerala State Electricity Board (KSEB) and a
The case related to corruption in awarding contract for
construction of tunnel and surge shaft of the Edmalayar Hydro
Electric Project in 1980s.
The prosecution case was that they entered into a
conspiracy that caused a loss of Rs 2 crore to KSEB by
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal