Special court issues arrest warrant against ex-minister
Kochi: Five days after the Supreme Court
sentenced former Kerala minister R Balakrishnan Pillai to
one-year imprisonment in a corruption case, the special court
which tried the case, here today directed police to execute an
arrest warrant against him before February 19.
The court gave the direction while rejecting a petition
filed by Pillai seeking time for the execution of the arrest
warrant on health grounds.
Reacting to the development, Pillai said he would
surrender before the court on February 18.
"My plea has been rejected. I will surrender before the
court on February 18. If the police wants to arrest me before
that date I would co-operate with them," Pillai told media.
Pillai, leader of the Kerala Congress (B) and a former
Electricity Minister in the Congress-led UDF Government, was
awarded the punishment by the Apex Court alongwith a former
Chairman of the Kerala State Electricity Board (KSEB) and a
The case related to corruption in awarding contract for
construction of tunnel and surge shaft of the Edmalayar Hydro
Electric Project in 1980s.
The prosecution case was that they entered into a
conspiracy that caused a loss of Rs 2 crore to KSEB by
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter