Speech row: CPI (M) leader Mani appears for questioning
Idukki: CPI (M) leader MM Mani on Wednesday appeared before the state police for questioning in connection with his controversial speech that the party had in the past eliminated its enemies.
The CPI (M) leader, who faces criminal charges, has earlier ignored calls to appear before police for questioning.
With the High Court rejecting his plea to quash the FIRs against him last week, police had severed a notice to Mani asking him to appear at the DySP office at Thodpouzha yesterday.
Mani`s lawyers then informed the police team that he would not be personally appearing for questioning as he was planning to move the apex court against the high court order.
The lawyers also sought 10 days time for his personal appearance.
Last month, shortly after the case against him was registered, he was summoned by police but he did not respond to the notice holding he had approached the High Court.
Speculation was rife right that he would turn up before the police today so media persons had assembled in large number before the Dy SP office. Security was also strengthened in around the venue.
Mani is under scanner for saying that the party in 1980s drew up a list of rivals to be eliminated and killed three of them.
After his public oration brought huge embarrassment to the party as a whole, he was removed as Idukki district secretary by the state committee.
The CPI (M) central leadership also pressed the state unit to take action against Mani as his utterances not only defamed the party but also amounted to deviation from the party`s line.
Police had last month filed FIRs against him and summoned for questioning in connection with some of the past cases of political murder.
With PTI Input
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Islam doesn't allow women to visit graves, Haji Ali Dargah is one of them: Chairman
- Davis Cup: India to host Spain under flood-lights
- India, US eye bilateral trade worth $500 billion: Report
- GST, reforms to boost bilateral trade with India, address biz climate issues: US
- REVEALED: Gianni Infantino says FIFA salary less than USD 2m, well below Sepp Blatter earned