Speech row: CPI(M) leader rules out resignation
Idukki: Despite facing criminal charges for his controversial speech stating that CPI-M had eliminated its foes in the past, the party`s Idukki district secretary MM Mani on Sunday ruled out resigning from the organisational post.
After keeping away from the public eye for the last few days, Mani turned up today before the media and struck an aggressive posture, maintaining that there was no question of his quitting the party post unless it was so decided by the party at the highest level.
He also refuted reports of having gone into hiding after police booked a case against him for his speech last week at Thodupuzha where he said CPI-M had prepared a list and eliminated three rivals in Idukki district in the 1980s.
"I have been in politics for over four decades. I do not consider the present controversy as a big issue. We will face it legally and politically", he said.
Police had yesterday pasted the notice issued to Mani asking him to appear for questioning before the SIT at his residence and the party`s district committee office.
A case had been registered against Mani last week on charges of murder, abetment and concealing information based on his speech at Thodupuzha.
Meanwhile, CPI state secretary Panniyan Raveendran said Mani`s speech was a `slur` on the Communist movement.
"Communists are humanists. A Communist cannot say that he prepared a list of political enemies and eliminated them," he told a Malayalam news channel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez