Speech row: CPI(M) leader rules out resignation
Idukki: Despite facing criminal charges for his controversial speech stating that CPI-M had eliminated its foes in the past, the party`s Idukki district secretary MM Mani on Sunday ruled out resigning from the organisational post.
After keeping away from the public eye for the last few days, Mani turned up today before the media and struck an aggressive posture, maintaining that there was no question of his quitting the party post unless it was so decided by the party at the highest level.
He also refuted reports of having gone into hiding after police booked a case against him for his speech last week at Thodupuzha where he said CPI-M had prepared a list and eliminated three rivals in Idukki district in the 1980s.
"I have been in politics for over four decades. I do not consider the present controversy as a big issue. We will face it legally and politically", he said.
Police had yesterday pasted the notice issued to Mani asking him to appear for questioning before the SIT at his residence and the party`s district committee office.
A case had been registered against Mani last week on charges of murder, abetment and concealing information based on his speech at Thodupuzha.
Meanwhile, CPI state secretary Panniyan Raveendran said Mani`s speech was a `slur` on the Communist movement.
"Communists are humanists. A Communist cannot say that he prepared a list of political enemies and eliminated them," he told a Malayalam news channel.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof