`Sreedharan should oversee Kochi Metro project`
Kochi: With controversy brewing over Kerala
government`s proposal to go in for global tender for the Rs
5,000 crore Kochi Metro project, another Union minister has
come out in favour of the project, being executed under aegis
of Delhi Metro Rail Corporation and its former head E
Kochi Metro project was first mooted during the tenure of
AK Antony when he was Chief Minister.
Union Minister of State for Food and Consumer Affairs KV
Thomas told reporters here he personally felt DMRC should be
asked to undertake the project and that Sreedharan should
The Minister said planning commission Vice-Chairman Montek
Singh Aluhwalia is expected to be here on January 11 and 12
after which a decision would be taken on the project.
Thomas urged the state government to complete the project
in a transparent manner and added that Infopark at Kakkanad
has also sought extension of the Metro project to the IT hub.
Union Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi
had told reporters at Kannur yesterday that his personal view
was that the government should enlist the co-operation of DMRC
and Sreedharan to execute such a major project.
Thomas said the Centre proposes to have a two-year buffer
food stock against the present minimum buffer stocks.
He said he would visit Tamil Nadu to hold talks with Chief
Minister Jayalalithaa on the state`s objections over the Food
security Bill. "I will address the issue with the Tamil Nadu
Chief Minister," he said, adding Tamil Nadu had raised certain
objections at a later stage.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender