Sri Lanka to open honorary consulate in Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram: A honorary consulate of Sri Lanka will be opened in the Kerala capital on Wednesday by Chief Minister Oommen Chandy.
Speaking to a news agency, A Jayaprakash, advisor to honorary consul Joemon Joseph, said this new beginning will be a boost for business between Kerala and Sri Lanka.
"Tourism is one business that will get a major boost both in Kerala and Sri Lanka as people from both these places do travel up and down. Another important gain would be for the business community as there would be more trade and business activities," said Jayaprakash.
In the run-up to the official clearing of the consular office of Sri Lanka here, the major point of discussion was on how this new office could help in boosting trade and commerce.
"Coconut is one product that Sri Lanka is doing a lot of value addition to. Here in Kerala, coconut is an important cash crop and there are companies in Sri Lanka which are looking forward for engaging in doing value addition to coconut here," added Jayaprakash.
Currently, there are two Sri Lankan consulates functioning in Chennai and Mumbai besides two honorary consulates in Bangalore and Kolkata. The one in Kolkata is all set to be upgraded to a full-fledged consulate soon.
Trade circles in Kerala also appear to be in a buoyant mood as today in Sri Lanka, Chinese companies have made major inroads in all sectors and the industry here is looking to Sri Lanka as a possible new business centre.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state