State govts to help regulate illegal migration: Ravi
New Delhi: Overseas Indian Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi Thursday called on state governments to partner his ministry in helping regulate illegal migration of workers from the country.
"The state governments should prosecute fraudulent recruiting and travel agents with the efficient use of the state police," Ravi said inaugurating the third annual consultation meeting with the state governments.
The two-day event will deliberate on various emigration and diaspora-related matters.
The sessions will focus mainly on promotion of overseas employment opportunities by the state governments, creating facilities for skill upgradation and pre-departure orientation and awareness campaigns by state governments in partnership with the overseas Indian affairs ministry.
Grant of voting rights to NRIs, quick redressal of their property-related grievances and tracing the roots and the Know India Programme for the diaspora will also be on the agenda.
"I am happy to say that some of the state governments have taken their own initiatives to control illegal migration," Ravi said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...