Stop targeting Kurian in Suryanelli case: Chandy
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on Saturday urged the media to refrain from linking Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien to the Suryanelli sex scandal, saying he has been "exonerated by two previous state governments and the Supreme Court" from the charges.
"It`s most unfortunate that the media has targeted Kurien in the Suryanelli case. Kurien has been exonerated both by two previous Left governments in Kerala and the Supreme Court," Chandy told reporters at a press conference here.
The apex court had on Jan 31 cancelled a Kerala High Court verdict acquitting all but one of the accused in the 1996 Suryanelli sex scandal and ordered a re-trial in the case. The victim on Friday indicated that she was considering the legal option of re-opening the case against Kurien.
"The victim said the same things about Kurien that she said 17 years ago," Chandy said.
"We did everything according to the rule of law and Kurien has been exonerated by the apex court. Raising this issue again is nothing but an attempt for political gain. This is really sad, especially the media targeting Kurien," he said.
The chief minister said the scandal took place when AK Antony was state chief minister, and a police team appointed by him had prepared a list of accused. But soon the Left government assumed office, and a new probe was conducted under police officer Siby Mathews.
However, he said, after the new inquiry into the scandal, no new names were added to the list of accused.
He added that in the 17 years since the scandal took place, the Left government was in office for 10 years. When VS Achuthanandan headed the government from 2006-11 no progress was made in the case, Chandy claimed.
The Suryanelli case was named after the place where the victim hailed from in the state`s Idukki district. The crime occurred on January 1996 when the then 16-year-old was threatened, abducted, abused by a bus conductor, and brutally raped and treated as a pleasure object for a period of 45 days by 42 men.
A special court found 35 of the accused guilty but in 2005 the Kerala High Court acquitted all but one of the accused.
The victim then approached the apex court, which after a gap of eight years, annulled the High Court verdict.
Although Siby Mathews has come out in defence of Kurien, his former colleague KK Joshua who was in the team that probed the case said that Mathews` probe had certain shortfalls.
"An identification parade to see if the victim recognised Kurien never took place. Moreover, only details that favoured Kurien were collected," Joshua said.
Reacting to Joshua`s claims, Mathews said that special awards were given for the excellent work that the probe team did in the case and that "Joshua never said anything then and now he is saying all this."
Chandy also said that both Mathews and Joshua have been at loggerheads with each other for long.
Meanwhile, leader of the opposition Achuthanandan on Saturday asked PJ Kurien to step down as Rajya Sabha deputy chairman in the wake of statements from the victim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'