Students support woman fighting against sand mafia
Thiruvananthapuram: Students of various colleges here have expressed solidarity with a woman, who has been staging a sit-in with her three children in front of the Secretariat here for the last two months seeking action against the sand mafia and mining.
About 70 students, including girls, marched to the north gate of the administrative hub and offered support to V Jazeera hailing from Kannur, on Sunday.
Raising slogans in support of the woman, they also tagged a green band around her wrist as a symbol of the environment, students said.
They also recited poems and drew pictures to propagate the message of the need for environment conservation.
Jazeera, with her three children, has been staging the protest demanding conservation of Neerozhukkumchal beach in Kannur where alleged illegal sand mining is taking place.
Many personalities from various walks of life, including popular actor Suresh Gopi, have offered support to her.
Authorities have, however, denied Jazeera`s allegations, saying no illegal sand mining is taking place.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog