Students support woman fighting against sand mafia
Thiruvananthapuram: Students of various colleges here have expressed solidarity with a woman, who has been staging a sit-in with her three children in front of the Secretariat here for the last two months seeking action against the sand mafia and mining.
About 70 students, including girls, marched to the north gate of the administrative hub and offered support to V Jazeera hailing from Kannur, on Sunday.
Raising slogans in support of the woman, they also tagged a green band around her wrist as a symbol of the environment, students said.
They also recited poems and drew pictures to propagate the message of the need for environment conservation.
Jazeera, with her three children, has been staging the protest demanding conservation of Neerozhukkumchal beach in Kannur where alleged illegal sand mining is taking place.
Many personalities from various walks of life, including popular actor Suresh Gopi, have offered support to her.
Authorities have, however, denied Jazeera`s allegations, saying no illegal sand mining is taking place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Anushka Sharma slaps ‘Sultan’ Salman Khan?
- Katrina Kaif’s views on ‘intolerance’ in the country - Here's what the actress said