Students support woman fighting against sand mafia
Thiruvananthapuram: Students of various colleges here have expressed solidarity with a woman, who has been staging a sit-in with her three children in front of the Secretariat here for the last two months seeking action against the sand mafia and mining.
About 70 students, including girls, marched to the north gate of the administrative hub and offered support to V Jazeera hailing from Kannur, on Sunday.
Raising slogans in support of the woman, they also tagged a green band around her wrist as a symbol of the environment, students said.
They also recited poems and drew pictures to propagate the message of the need for environment conservation.
Jazeera, with her three children, has been staging the protest demanding conservation of Neerozhukkumchal beach in Kannur where alleged illegal sand mining is taking place.
Many personalities from various walks of life, including popular actor Suresh Gopi, have offered support to her.
Authorities have, however, denied Jazeera`s allegations, saying no illegal sand mining is taking place.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on political reasons responsible for 50 days of Kashmir unrest
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Two dead, seven injured in stampede after fire in Murshidabad hospital
- RSS to start awareness campaign against changing name of WB
- What a pervert! Bijnor imam caught on camera during rape – Watch shocking video
- Defender Cedric Soares renews contract with Southampton until 2020
- Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu, Dipa Karmakar, Pullela Gopichand to be gifted BMW cars