Suryanelli case: Ex-HC judge says girl used for child prostitution, not raped
Kochi: Stoking controversy, a former Kerala High Court judge on Saturday defended his judgement acquitting 35 accused in the Suryanelli gang-rape case, in which Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien was allegedly involved, saying the victim was used in child prostitution and not raped.
"There was ample evidence to show the girl was used for child prostitution, which is not rape`, Justice R Basant, part of a two-judge bench that acquitted the accused in 2005, was shown as saying on a Malayalam TV channel.
As a controversy erupted, the Judge later maintained his comments were recorded using a hidden camera.
Justice Basant told PTI, he had refused to talk to the TV journalist on camera, but there was some hidden camera.
"I just walked into it. I know what I have said. All I can say, look into the judgement".
He was only quoting from the judgement and it was a casual conversation, he said.
The former judge`s views came under attack from women and youth outfits, which condemned them as his verdict was recently set aside by the Supreme Court, reverting the matter back to the High Court.
"My response is, if anyone wants to know about the judgement, read the judgement," the retired judge said.
"If I was asked to decide the case again, I would decide the same way. Please read the judgement", he said on the TV channel.
The case pertains to the alleged abduction and rape of a 16 year-old from Suryanelli in the Idukki district in 1996. She was forcibly taken to different places and allegedly raped by several men over a period of 40 days.
In September 2000, a special court had sentenced the 35
accused to rigorous imprisonment for varying terms. However, a divsion bench of the High Court comprising Justices KA Abdul Gaffoor and Basant, acquitted all.
Kurien is not part of the 35 accused, but the victim had filed a private complaint later on accusing him of involvement in the sexual assault.
Kurien`s name figured again in connection with the case after the victim recently wrote to her advocate to explore the possibility of filing a review petition, seeking a fresh probe against him, triggering demands for his resignation. He has maintained that he has already been cleared of the charges by the apex court.
"If you read the judgement you will know why Justice Gaffoor (the fellow judge who is no more) and me had acquitted the accused. Please read the judgement. You will know why the girl was disbelieved, how much time we took to write the judgement," Justice Basant was shown as saying on the channel.
"You should read the judgement and not say things like politicians on the platform for getting applause," he said.
"Nobody reads the judgement, you just make comments".
When pointed out that the apex court had expressed `shock` on reading the HC judgement, he said those who have not read the judgement, will be shocked.
"I am not blaming her. The girl is not normal, she is deviant. All these are there in the judgement", Justice Basant said.
Women activists expressed shock at the former judge`s statements. President of Anweshi, an NGO, K Ajitha said, justice Basant was an `insult` to all judges in the country.
Another activist Suja Susan said, she was shocked with justice Basant`s views.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview