Suryanelli case: HC to hear bail pleas of 17 accused
Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala High Court will on Monday hear the bail pleas of 17 accused in the Suryanelli gang-rape case.
On March 02, a Kerala court had refused to take up a petition filed by the victim demanding further investigation against Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien.
The court of Peerumedu first class magistrate had said since the case was earlier considered by it, the private petition by the victim could not be taken up again.
Kurien`s name never appeared in the list of accused and in the late 1990s after a special court found more than 42 people guilty, the victim then filed a private complaint against Kurien in a court in Idukki district pointing that he had exploited her at a guest house.
He got a discharge in the case from the Supreme Court in that petition.
The sex scandal took place at Suryanelli in Idukki district in January 1996, when the then 16-year-old victim was threatened, abducted and abused by a bus conductor and was later confined and sexually assaulted for 45 days by 42 men.
The case was back in the spotlight after the Supreme Court ordered a retrial in the case on January 31, while setting aside the acquittal in 2005 by the Kerala High Court of all but one of the 35 accused convicted by a special court.
Last month, the victim approached police in Kottayam district, where she lives, asking for a fresh case against Kurien. The director general of prosecution was of the opinion that there was nothing new in her petition and a case could not be registered.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla