Suryanelli case: HC to hear bail pleas of 17 accused
Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala High Court will on Monday hear the bail pleas of 17 accused in the Suryanelli gang-rape case.
On March 02, a Kerala court had refused to take up a petition filed by the victim demanding further investigation against Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien.
The court of Peerumedu first class magistrate had said since the case was earlier considered by it, the private petition by the victim could not be taken up again.
Kurien`s name never appeared in the list of accused and in the late 1990s after a special court found more than 42 people guilty, the victim then filed a private complaint against Kurien in a court in Idukki district pointing that he had exploited her at a guest house.
He got a discharge in the case from the Supreme Court in that petition.
The sex scandal took place at Suryanelli in Idukki district in January 1996, when the then 16-year-old victim was threatened, abducted and abused by a bus conductor and was later confined and sexually assaulted for 45 days by 42 men.
The case was back in the spotlight after the Supreme Court ordered a retrial in the case on January 31, while setting aside the acquittal in 2005 by the Kerala High Court of all but one of the 35 accused convicted by a special court.
Last month, the victim approached police in Kottayam district, where she lives, asking for a fresh case against Kurien. The director general of prosecution was of the opinion that there was nothing new in her petition and a case could not be registered.
(With IANS inputs)
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’