Suryanelli case: Justice Basant must apologise, says former SC Judge
Kochi: Former Supreme Court judge V R Krishna Iyer on Sunday demanded public apology from retired Kerala High Court Judge R Basant for his recent remarks against Suryanelli gang-rape case victim.
"Justice Basant should withdraw his remarks and apologise to all women," Iyer told reporters here.
Justice Basant, along with Justice K A Abdul Gaffoor, delivered the judgement in the case in 2005 acquitting all 35 accused. The Supreme Court had recently quashed the acquittal.
"There was ample evidence to show the girl was used for child prostitution, which is not rape," Justice Basant was shown as saying on a TV channel yesterday.
The remarks drew widespread protests across the state with the DYFI, the Yuva Morcha and women`s organisations protesting and burning his effigies in several parts of the state.
A strong police contingent has been posted at Justice Basant`s residence at Kozhikode.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families? - Part II
- DNA: Who are the sponsors and co-sponsors of terrorism in India?
- DNA: Who are the sponsors and co-sponsors of terrorism in India? Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the mystery of missing IAF aircraft AN-32
- Clinton accepts Democratic White House nomination in defining speech
- AMAZING WEIGHT LOSS TIP! Is this the fastest way to lose fat overnight?- Watch
- Not everything they taught you in science was true - 10 myths debunked in this 3-min VIDEO!
- Home Minister level talks: India, Bangladesh resolve to fight terrorism together
- Ukraine at UN says Putin's Crimea decree 'null and void'