Suryanelli case: Justice Basant must apologise, says former SC Judge
Kochi: Former Supreme Court judge V R Krishna Iyer on Sunday demanded public apology from retired Kerala High Court Judge R Basant for his recent remarks against Suryanelli gang-rape case victim.
"Justice Basant should withdraw his remarks and apologise to all women," Iyer told reporters here.
Justice Basant, along with Justice K A Abdul Gaffoor, delivered the judgement in the case in 2005 acquitting all 35 accused. The Supreme Court had recently quashed the acquittal.
"There was ample evidence to show the girl was used for child prostitution, which is not rape," Justice Basant was shown as saying on a TV channel yesterday.
The remarks drew widespread protests across the state with the DYFI, the Yuva Morcha and women`s organisations protesting and burning his effigies in several parts of the state.
A strong police contingent has been posted at Justice Basant`s residence at Kozhikode.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray