Suryanelli case: Justice Basant must apologise, says former SC Judge
Kochi: Former Supreme Court judge V R Krishna Iyer on Sunday demanded public apology from retired Kerala High Court Judge R Basant for his recent remarks against Suryanelli gang-rape case victim.
"Justice Basant should withdraw his remarks and apologise to all women," Iyer told reporters here.
Justice Basant, along with Justice K A Abdul Gaffoor, delivered the judgement in the case in 2005 acquitting all 35 accused. The Supreme Court had recently quashed the acquittal.
"There was ample evidence to show the girl was used for child prostitution, which is not rape," Justice Basant was shown as saying on a TV channel yesterday.
The remarks drew widespread protests across the state with the DYFI, the Yuva Morcha and women`s organisations protesting and burning his effigies in several parts of the state.
A strong police contingent has been posted at Justice Basant`s residence at Kozhikode.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing