Suryanelli case: Justice Basant must apologise, says former SC Judge
Kochi: Former Supreme Court judge V R Krishna Iyer on Sunday demanded public apology from retired Kerala High Court Judge R Basant for his recent remarks against Suryanelli gang-rape case victim.
"Justice Basant should withdraw his remarks and apologise to all women," Iyer told reporters here.
Justice Basant, along with Justice K A Abdul Gaffoor, delivered the judgement in the case in 2005 acquitting all 35 accused. The Supreme Court had recently quashed the acquittal.
"There was ample evidence to show the girl was used for child prostitution, which is not rape," Justice Basant was shown as saying on a TV channel yesterday.
The remarks drew widespread protests across the state with the DYFI, the Yuva Morcha and women`s organisations protesting and burning his effigies in several parts of the state.
A strong police contingent has been posted at Justice Basant`s residence at Kozhikode.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda