Suryanelli case: Kerala opposes PIL against Kurien
Kochi: Kerala government on Thursday submitted in the high court that a PIL seeking further investigation against Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman P J Kurien in the nearly two-decade-old Suryanelli rape case was not maintainable and pointed that the prime accused had retracted his statement which sought to implicate the Congress leader.
The Congress-led UDF government filed an affidavit stating that Dharmarajan, the lone convict in the case, had last month retracted his statement before the Thodupuzha Sessions court and the public interest litigation (PIL) filed by Mahila Sangam state committee, the women`s wing of CPI, was not maintainable and liable to be dismissed.
The petition had been filed without the knowledge and consent of the victim, it was stated.
In a new twist to the case, Dharmarajan had withdrawn his claim that he had taken Kurien in his car to a guest house in Kumily where the victim was lodged and said he was not familiar with him.
The government filed the affidavit on a direction by a division bench of the court in reply to the PIL seeking to conduct further investigation into the alleged involvement of Kurien on the basis of recent revelations made by the victim.
It said the grievance narrated in the petition was `purely a personal cause` of the victim girl and no way connected with the petitioner`s aim and object. There is no public cause or public interest in filing the petition.
The case relates to a 16-year-old girl from Suryanelli in Idukki district being abducted in January 1996 and taken to to various places and sexually exploited by at least 40 persons.
Kurien, alleged to be an accused, was acquitted in the case but the victim had recently named him as one of those who assaulted her at the Kumily guest house on February 9, 1996. Kurien has maintained that he had been cleared of the charges by the Supreme Court.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days