Suryanelli case: Kurien writes to Sonia, Ansari
New Delhi: Facing the heat after fresh twists in the Suryanelli gang-rape case, Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman P J Kurien has written to Congress president Sonia Gandhi and Chairman of the Upper House Hamid Ansari explaining his position.
Sources said he has explained his position to the party president and Ansari amid the Opposition demand for his resignation.
He is understood to have explained in the letter the judgements of various courts, which "exonerated" him in the case.
When contacted, Kurien said he cannot speak to the media on any communication between him and the Congress president.
The lone convict in the Suryanelli gang-rape case had yesterday alleged that Kurien was involved in it as claimed by the victim.
Dharmarajan, the convict who is absconding after obtaining bail, had told a television channel that the principal investigator in the case had allegedly pressurised him not to mention Kurien`s alleged involvement in the case.
Kurien, however, rubbished Dharmarajan`s claim holding the statement of an accused after conviction has no legal validity.
Reacting to the charge, he said, "this is a settled position of the Supreme Court (that the statement of an accused after conviction has no legal validity).
"Secondly, every accused gets a chance to make a statement before the judge. He did not say this at that time. You (media persons) find out why he is making this claim now."
Kurien`s colleague in Kerala and Congress spokesperson PC Chacko had on Sunday said that the party will take a decision on the demand for Kurien`s removal as Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha before the Budget Session of Parliament.
However, Congress had distanced itself from Chacko`s remarks.
"Whatever Chacko has said is his personal opinion," party spokesperson Sandip Dikshit had said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know