Suryanelli gang-rape case: Cong MP`s comment on victim kicks up row
Thiruvananthapuram: With Congress leadership under pressure over allegation against Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien in connection with the Suryanelli gang-rape case, a party MP in the state has kicked up a row by making insulting comments on the rape victim.
K Sudhakaran`s comment during a media interaction in Muscat triggered widespread condemnation not only from the Opposition but even from women leaders of the Congress.
The Lok Sabha MP from Kannur made sweeping comments against the girl and linked it with the remarks made by former judge of the Kerala High Court, Justice R Basanth, who was part of the two-member bench which acquitted the accused in the case in 2005.
A TV channel last week recorded a conversation of Basanth in which he justified the judgement and said there was ample evidence to show that the victim had been used for child prostitution.
Reacting to Sudhakaran`s comments, Mahila Congress leader and AICC secretary Shanimol Usman wanted her party colleague to apologise for his remarks on the Suryanelli girl.
Joining issue, Mahila Congress state president Bindu Krishna said Sudhakaran`s comment was an insult to women as a whole.
CPI-M Rajya Sabha member T N Seema wanted the state government to register a case against Sudhakaran for his "uncalled for comments."
CPI-M veteran and Opposition Leader V S Achuthanandan termed Sudhakaran`s comments as "heinous" and totally unbecoming of a member of Parliament. His words went against the cultural spirit of Kerala, the octogenarian leader said.
A former state minister, Sudhakaran had often created controversies by his off-the-cuff remarks like his widely- deplored statement that he was witness to some Supreme Court Judges being bribed in an `abkari` (excise) case.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!