Suryanelli gang-rape case: Cong MP`s comment on victim kicks up row
Thiruvananthapuram: With Congress leadership under pressure over allegation against Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien in connection with the Suryanelli gang-rape case, a party MP in the state has kicked up a row by making insulting comments on the rape victim.
K Sudhakaran`s comment during a media interaction in Muscat triggered widespread condemnation not only from the Opposition but even from women leaders of the Congress.
The Lok Sabha MP from Kannur made sweeping comments against the girl and linked it with the remarks made by former judge of the Kerala High Court, Justice R Basanth, who was part of the two-member bench which acquitted the accused in the case in 2005.
A TV channel last week recorded a conversation of Basanth in which he justified the judgement and said there was ample evidence to show that the victim had been used for child prostitution.
Reacting to Sudhakaran`s comments, Mahila Congress leader and AICC secretary Shanimol Usman wanted her party colleague to apologise for his remarks on the Suryanelli girl.
Joining issue, Mahila Congress state president Bindu Krishna said Sudhakaran`s comment was an insult to women as a whole.
CPI-M Rajya Sabha member T N Seema wanted the state government to register a case against Sudhakaran for his "uncalled for comments."
CPI-M veteran and Opposition Leader V S Achuthanandan termed Sudhakaran`s comments as "heinous" and totally unbecoming of a member of Parliament. His words went against the cultural spirit of Kerala, the octogenarian leader said.
A former state minister, Sudhakaran had often created controversies by his off-the-cuff remarks like his widely- deplored statement that he was witness to some Supreme Court Judges being bribed in an `abkari` (excise) case.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Samsung beat Apple in smartphone shipments amid positive results
- Hafiz Saeed leaves Pakistan fuming, claims protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT
- I have aged not Michelle: Obama
- Look what Sidharth Malhotra has to say about PM Narendra Modi and President Pranab Mukherjee’s ‘Kala Chashma’
- Markandey Katju lambasts Umar Khalid over Burhan Wani, Azadi for Kashmir demand – Know what he said