Suryanelli gang-rape: Kurien sees plot to tarnish
Thiruvananthapuram: With his name being "dragged" into the Suryanelli gangrape case, Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien has said that he suspected his political foes, including some in the Congress were involved in the `conspiracy` to malign him.
Kurien`s name figured again in connection with the case after the victim wrote to her advocate in Delhi on January 29 to explore the possibility of filing a review petition, seeking a fresh probe against Kurien.
While maintaining that he is totally innocent, Kurien told Malayalam TV channels last evening there was a `conspiracy` behind the renewed attempt to drag his name after he had been cleared by courts and the investigations found the charge against him baseless.
Kurien said he had been absolved of the charges by the Supreme Court after four teams of police officers under UDF and LDF governments investigated the case. "If there is any lapse in all these probes, you should ask the Investigating Officers," he said.
Kurien, a former minister and long-time MP, said while Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, the KPCC president and other Congress leaders have fully backed him, he had an "inference" that some persons in the party wanted to harm him as they thought his "prominent presence" was a threat to their prospects.
"I have some inferences about who are working against me. I am not disclosing who they are at this juncture. I may do so at a later stage," Kurien told a channel.
"I have never met the girl…If we ever met the misunderstandings could have been removed...I have only prayers for her," Kurien said.
Meanwhile, the victim faxed a letter to Chandy yesterday, seeking a fresh probe against Kurien.
Chandy had strongly defended Kurien at a press meet and termed as `unfortunate` the moves against Kurien after he had been discharged by courts.
Opposition Leader VS Achuthanandan, who demanded the resignation of the Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman, had also asked the Chief Minister to order re-investigation into the case.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- IIT Bombay alumnus named CEO of US firm ANSYS
- Rupee recovers 7 paise to 67.11 vs USD
- Hyundai Tucson to get 2.0-l petrol engine; no 1.6-l diesel
- Teaser of Aishwarya Rai, Ranbir Kapoor's ‘Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’ is out and it is insanely entertaining!
- Victoria decides to ban fracking and coal seam gas exploration permanently