Suryanelli gang-rape: Kurien sees plot to tarnish
Thiruvananthapuram: With his name being "dragged" into the Suryanelli gangrape case, Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien has said that he suspected his political foes, including some in the Congress were involved in the `conspiracy` to malign him.
Kurien`s name figured again in connection with the case after the victim wrote to her advocate in Delhi on January 29 to explore the possibility of filing a review petition, seeking a fresh probe against Kurien.
While maintaining that he is totally innocent, Kurien told Malayalam TV channels last evening there was a `conspiracy` behind the renewed attempt to drag his name after he had been cleared by courts and the investigations found the charge against him baseless.
Kurien said he had been absolved of the charges by the Supreme Court after four teams of police officers under UDF and LDF governments investigated the case. "If there is any lapse in all these probes, you should ask the Investigating Officers," he said.
Kurien, a former minister and long-time MP, said while Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, the KPCC president and other Congress leaders have fully backed him, he had an "inference" that some persons in the party wanted to harm him as they thought his "prominent presence" was a threat to their prospects.
"I have some inferences about who are working against me. I am not disclosing who they are at this juncture. I may do so at a later stage," Kurien told a channel.
"I have never met the girl…If we ever met the misunderstandings could have been removed...I have only prayers for her," Kurien said.
Meanwhile, the victim faxed a letter to Chandy yesterday, seeking a fresh probe against Kurien.
Chandy had strongly defended Kurien at a press meet and termed as `unfortunate` the moves against Kurien after he had been discharged by courts.
Opposition Leader VS Achuthanandan, who demanded the resignation of the Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman, had also asked the Chief Minister to order re-investigation into the case.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video