Suryanelli rape case accused Dharmarajan held
Ahemdabad: The special team of Kerala police on Friday nabbed Dharmarajan, the main absconding convict in the Suryanelli gang-rape case allegedly involving Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien.
According to reports, Dharmarajan was arrested in Karnataka and he will now be taken to Kottayam for questioning.
A special team was set up by the Kerala police recently to trace and arrest Dharmarajan, who appeared on a Malayalam TV channel alleging that Kurien was involved in the case.
The four-member team then left for Karnataka from where Dharmarajan purportedly gave the interview to the channel and made the startling claim.
The third accused in the 1996 gang-rape case, Dharmarajan fled Kerala before the probe was completed, but he was traced and arrested at Udupi in Karnataka later.
The special court which tried the case sentenced him to life in 2002. The High Court, however, remitted it to five years in 2005. He secured bail to file an appeal the same year but has been absconding since then.
In his TV interview, Dharmarajan claimed that Kurien, who was a minister at the Centre then, had travelled in his car to a guest house in Kumali, where the girl alleged she was molested.
He claimed he was under pressure from the chief investigator not to mention Kurien`s name.
Kurien, however, rubbished Dharmarajan`s charge, holding that the statement of a convict has no legal validity.
With PTI inputs
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list