Suryanelli rape case accused Dharmarajan held
Ahemdabad: The special team of Kerala police on Friday nabbed Dharmarajan, the main absconding convict in the Suryanelli gang-rape case allegedly involving Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien.
According to reports, Dharmarajan was arrested in Karnataka and he will now be taken to Kottayam for questioning.
A special team was set up by the Kerala police recently to trace and arrest Dharmarajan, who appeared on a Malayalam TV channel alleging that Kurien was involved in the case.
The four-member team then left for Karnataka from where Dharmarajan purportedly gave the interview to the channel and made the startling claim.
The third accused in the 1996 gang-rape case, Dharmarajan fled Kerala before the probe was completed, but he was traced and arrested at Udupi in Karnataka later.
The special court which tried the case sentenced him to life in 2002. The High Court, however, remitted it to five years in 2005. He secured bail to file an appeal the same year but has been absconding since then.
In his TV interview, Dharmarajan claimed that Kurien, who was a minister at the Centre then, had travelled in his car to a guest house in Kumali, where the girl alleged she was molested.
He claimed he was under pressure from the chief investigator not to mention Kurien`s name.
Kurien, however, rubbished Dharmarajan`s charge, holding that the statement of a convict has no legal validity.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez