Suryanelli rape case: Hearing of bail pleas adjourned to March 4
Kochi: The Kerala High Court on Monday adjourned to March four the hearing of the bail pleas of 17 accused in the Suryanelli rape case allegedly involving Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien.
A division bench comprising Justices K T Shankaran and M L Joseph Francis said the appeal and records about the case had not been received from the Supreme Court and it cannot proceed without perusing them, even though the accused wanted their pleas to be taken up today.
According to the accused, the apex court had not gone into the merits of the case and judgement was on technical grounds. The accused, who had been convicted and sentenced by the sessions court, are among the 35 acquitted by a division bench of the High Court in 2005.
However, the Supreme Court had however recently set aside the acquittals and asked them to surrender before the special court hearing the case.
First accused Rajan and fifth accused Cherian are among those who have moved for bail maintaining there was no material against them to prove the charges.
Dharmarajan, the third accused, who had jumped bail, had recently been arrested from Karnataka and sent to jail. The High Court had reduced his life term to five years. Following the Supreme Court judgement, Dharmarajan has to undergo the rest of his prison term.
The case relates to a 16-year-old girl who was abducted in 1996 and taken to to various places and sexually exploited.
Kurien was acquitted but the victim had recently named him as one of those who allegedly assaulted her in 1996.
The victim had also sent a letter to her advocate seeking to explore the possibility of filing a review plea in the Supreme Court for a fresh probe against Kurien, who according to the victim, had raped her at the Kumily guest house on February 9, 1996.
Kurien has maintained that he had been cleared of the charges by the apex court.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it