Suryanelli rape case: Petition filed against Justice Basant
Kochi: A petition seeking sanction to initiate criminal contempt proceedings against former judge of Kerala High Court R Basant, whose controversial remarks on Suryanelli rape case victim has sparked off protests, was filed before the state Advocate General.
Petitioner M Prakash, a former employee of the high court, stated that the remarks made by Justice Basant were `irresponsible`, not befitting the position he had held as a high court judge.
In per se, it was a criminal contempt of judiciary, the petitioner charged and said the prestige of judiciary had been lowered in the eyes of the general public.
The petitioner has moved the Advocate General as his sanction is required for filing criminal contempt cases.
Justice Basant had along with Justice K A Abdul Gaffoor, delivered the judgement in the case in 2005 acquitting 35 accused and the sentence of only one one accused, Darmarajan, had been upheld. Supreme Court had recently quashed the acquittal.
A television channel had two days ago aired a footage in which the former judge stated that the victim of Suryanelli case was used for child prostitution, which was not rape.
The remarks had drawn widespread protests in the state yesterday with DYFI, Yuva Morcha and women`s organisations protesting and burning his effigies in various parts of the state. The issue was also raised in Assembly today by opposition LDF which wanted the judge to be booked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie