Suryanelli rape case: Petition filed against Justice Basant
Kochi: A petition seeking sanction to initiate criminal contempt proceedings against former judge of Kerala High Court R Basant, whose controversial remarks on Suryanelli rape case victim has sparked off protests, was filed before the state Advocate General.
Petitioner M Prakash, a former employee of the high court, stated that the remarks made by Justice Basant were `irresponsible`, not befitting the position he had held as a high court judge.
In per se, it was a criminal contempt of judiciary, the petitioner charged and said the prestige of judiciary had been lowered in the eyes of the general public.
The petitioner has moved the Advocate General as his sanction is required for filing criminal contempt cases.
Justice Basant had along with Justice K A Abdul Gaffoor, delivered the judgement in the case in 2005 acquitting 35 accused and the sentence of only one one accused, Darmarajan, had been upheld. Supreme Court had recently quashed the acquittal.
A television channel had two days ago aired a footage in which the former judge stated that the victim of Suryanelli case was used for child prostitution, which was not rape.
The remarks had drawn widespread protests in the state yesterday with DYFI, Yuva Morcha and women`s organisations protesting and burning his effigies in various parts of the state. The issue was also raised in Assembly today by opposition LDF which wanted the judge to be booked.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!