Suryanelli rape case rocks Kerala Assembly again
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI(M)-led LDF opposition today forced the adjournment of the Kerala Assembly over alleged police excess against women MLAs demanding re-investigation of charges against Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman P J Kurien in the Suryanelli gangrape case.
Though Chief Minister Oommen Chandy announced that the Government was prepared for a judicial inquiry into the police action on CPI MLAs E S Bijimol and Geetha Gopi yesterday, Opposition Leader V S Achuthanandan insisted on immediate suspension of the "erring" police personnel.
Chandy, quoting ADGP`s report and video visuals on the incident, said though nothing could be found in them to take instant action against police officials, considering the seriousness of the incident government was ready for a judicial probe.
After heated exchanges during the Zero Hour, rejecting the Government`s stand slogan-shouting opposition members, including women MLAs, rushed to the well of the House. Four of the women MLAs even scaled the Speaker`s podium and kept on chanting "we want justice and protection."
Speaker G Karthikeyan then rushed through the rest of the business and adjourned the House hours ahead of the day`s schedule.
This was the third day that the LDF was disrupting proceedings in connection with the alleged involvement of Kurien in the Suryanelli case.The opposition has been pressing for a further investigation in the case in the wake of the victim sticking to her charge against Kurien.
Kurien has all along rejected the charge and the demand for his resignation, saying it was a matter which had already been cleared by the Supreme Court.
The Leftist women outfits yesterday held a protest over the issue in front of the Assembly and some agitators, including Bijimol and Geetha Gopi, were allegedly roughed up by police. The two MLAs have been hospitalised.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan