Suspected LeT militant Nazir brought to Kerala
Kozhikode: Suspected LeT militant T Nazir,
arrested recently for his alleged involvement in terror
attacks in various parts of the country, was brought here
from Bangalore for questioning in connection with some cases
in the state.
"Nazir has been brought to Kerala from Bangalore," IGP
(North) Tomin J Thankary told reporters at Karipur
international airport near here, but declined to divulge
The IGP sought the cooperation of the media in carrying
forward the investigation into various terror-related cases.
Two officials from Karnataka also accompanied Nazir.
Meanwhile, a senior official of the Special Investigating
Team, probing the terror related-cases in Kerala, who did not
wish to be quoted said Nazir would be taken to Kozhikode,
Kannur and Kochi in the next four days.
Nazir and Shafaz were arrested by Bangladesh Rifles and
subsequently handed over to the BSF on Dec 2. They were
brought to Bangalore where they were questioned.
Nazir also reportedly plotted the March 2006 bomb blasts
in two bus shelters in Kozhikode in which two persons,
including a police personnel, were injured.
The torching of a Tamil Nadu Transport bus near Kochi a
few years ago was also thought to be planned by him to protest
the continued detention of People Democratic Party (PDP)
chairman Abdul Naser Madhani in a Coimbatore jail.
Nazir reportedly confessed to an aborted attempt to bomb
the Taj hotel here in retaliation for the 2002 communal
clashes at Marad beach near here, in which five persons were
A native of Neerchal locality in Kannur, he is wanted by
SIT, investigating recruitment of Muslim youths from Kerala to
Kashmir-based LeT outfit to carry out subversive activities.
The recruitment came to light after four youths from
Kerala were shot dead in an army encounter in Jammu and
Kashmir last year while they were trying to sneak to Pakistan
Nazir has also reportedly confessed that he had organised
camps in parts of Kerala to lure youths to carry out
subversive activities against the country.
Several bomb blasts in Kannur district in recent years
were carried out on an "experimental" basis as part of
carrying out subversive activities in major cities of the
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list