Suspend work on Koodankulam plant: CPI
Thiruvananthapuram: The Centre should immediately suspend all works relating to Koodankulam Nuclear Power Plant and initiate discussions with the people who are up in arms against the project, CPI Kerala state secretary Pannian Raveendran said on Saturday.
Addressing reporters here, Raveendran said the CPI state unit fully supported the agitation of the people against the plant. "They should be convinced and their concerns addressed before going ahead with the project," he said.
The CPI leader said a discussion on whether nuclear energy is essential for the country should be held with all concerned. The environment impact study of the project was not done in a convincing manner, he alleged.
Raveendran said that CPI`s youth outfits AIYF, AISF and Yuva Kala Sahiti had already joined the agitation initiated by the people of Koodankulam. The project directly affected them and they should not be taken for granted. The attempt to suppress the agitation was most deplorable, he said.
He said CPI would organise a five-day `Mahasatyagraha` in front of the martyrs` column at Palayam here against the `anti-people` policies of the Centre, which had resulted in rise in the price of essential commodities.
"The frequent hike in the price of petroleum products had added to the misery of the people. The UDF government in the state led by Oommen Chandy was implementing the wrong policies of the Centre with `double force` with scant regard for the welfare of the people," he said.
Party general secretary S Sudhakar Reddy would inaugurate the five-day `Mahasatyagraha` on October 16. The concluding function on October 20 would be inaugurated by party national secretary D Raja, he said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read