Suspend work on Koodankulam plant: CPI
Thiruvananthapuram: The Centre should immediately suspend all works relating to Koodankulam Nuclear Power Plant and initiate discussions with the people who are up in arms against the project, CPI Kerala state secretary Pannian Raveendran said on Saturday.
Addressing reporters here, Raveendran said the CPI state unit fully supported the agitation of the people against the plant. "They should be convinced and their concerns addressed before going ahead with the project," he said.
The CPI leader said a discussion on whether nuclear energy is essential for the country should be held with all concerned. The environment impact study of the project was not done in a convincing manner, he alleged.
Raveendran said that CPI`s youth outfits AIYF, AISF and Yuva Kala Sahiti had already joined the agitation initiated by the people of Koodankulam. The project directly affected them and they should not be taken for granted. The attempt to suppress the agitation was most deplorable, he said.
He said CPI would organise a five-day `Mahasatyagraha` in front of the martyrs` column at Palayam here against the `anti-people` policies of the Centre, which had resulted in rise in the price of essential commodities.
"The frequent hike in the price of petroleum products had added to the misery of the people. The UDF government in the state led by Oommen Chandy was implementing the wrong policies of the Centre with `double force` with scant regard for the welfare of the people," he said.
Party general secretary S Sudhakar Reddy would inaugurate the five-day `Mahasatyagraha` on October 16. The concluding function on October 20 would be inaugurated by party national secretary D Raja, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi