Suyanelli: Govt against appointing 2 special public prosecutors for case
Kochi: Kerala Government today informed the High Court its disagreement in appointing two special public prosecutors in the Suriyanelli rape case.
According to the government, the present state prosecutor, the Director General of Prosecutions (DGP), will continue to conduct the case.
The submission was made on a plea filed by the Suriyanelli victim seeking to appoint two special prosecutors-- Suresh Babu Thomas and C S Ajayan, to conduct the case.
It was further informed that the application filed by the victim to appoint two special prosecutors was rejected by the government. It was also stated that these two lawyers can be appointed to assist the prosecution.
The victim in her petition had stated that the DGP had tendered an adverse legal advise to her in her complaint against Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman, P J Kurien and if he conducts a hearing on the appeals, she would be "greatly prejudiced."
The earlier prosecutors-- Suresh Babu Thomas and C S Ajayan, who conducted the case successfully at special court, Kottayam, were conversant with all details of the case and would only take minimum time to prepare the case and hence they should be appointed, she had submitted.
Despite new evidence cropping up as revealed by key accused Darmarajan against Kurien, the government and police on the advice of DGP refused to take action against him, she had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers