Suyanelli: Govt against appointing 2 special public prosecutors for case
Kochi: Kerala Government today informed the High Court its disagreement in appointing two special public prosecutors in the Suriyanelli rape case.
According to the government, the present state prosecutor, the Director General of Prosecutions (DGP), will continue to conduct the case.
The submission was made on a plea filed by the Suriyanelli victim seeking to appoint two special prosecutors-- Suresh Babu Thomas and C S Ajayan, to conduct the case.
It was further informed that the application filed by the victim to appoint two special prosecutors was rejected by the government. It was also stated that these two lawyers can be appointed to assist the prosecution.
The victim in her petition had stated that the DGP had tendered an adverse legal advise to her in her complaint against Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman, P J Kurien and if he conducts a hearing on the appeals, she would be "greatly prejudiced."
The earlier prosecutors-- Suresh Babu Thomas and C S Ajayan, who conducted the case successfully at special court, Kottayam, were conversant with all details of the case and would only take minimum time to prepare the case and hence they should be appointed, she had submitted.
Despite new evidence cropping up as revealed by key accused Darmarajan against Kurien, the government and police on the advice of DGP refused to take action against him, she had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed