Swami Agnivesh demands CBI probe into death of Bihari youth
Kochi: Social Activist Swami Agnivesh on Friday demanded CBI probe into the death of Bihari youth Satnam Singh Mann in a Mental Health Cetre in Thiruvananthapuram under suspicious circumstances after he was arrested from Mata Amritanandamayi`s ashram in Kollam recently.
"We want CBI to inquire into the death of the youth. We feel concerned.... The way he was caught and roughed up in the ashram and then taken into custody by police after which he died," Swami Agnivesh and former high court judge PK Shamshuddin said in a statement.
Those in the ashram should have treated Mann with compassion. There should be fair investigation and whoever is responsbile for his death, should be dealt with. There were 70 wounds on his body, Agnivesh said.
"We do not find anything seriously objectionable in his past. In the ashram, he did not insult anyone or abuse anyone. The ashram must have said something to the police because of which they overdid things," he alleged.
Mann was arrested and remanded on August 1 after he created scenes at the ashram by trying to barge onto the podium of spiritual leader Mata Amritanandamayi.
He was shifted to the mental hospital the next day as he was allegedly in a mentally disturbed state and died there on August 4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown