Tainted catholic priest surrenders before Kerala police
Kochi: Father Jaison Kollannur, the ousted Director of Kerala Catholic Youth Movement (KCYM), and three other KCYM activists on Saturday surrendered before police here in connection with a human trafficking case.
Kollannur, the third accused in the case, had earlier been removed by Kerala Catholic Bishops Council (KCBC) from the post of Secretary of its Youth Commission when media reports of his involvement in the case broke out.
The four had earlier been granted conditional bail by the Kerala High Court and were asked to surrender before the Investigating Officer here upon furnishing a bond amount of Rs 25,000 and two solvent sureties for like amount.
Police registered a case against them after investigations revealed they had charged Rs 50,000 as commission and had sent 35 unskilled workers to the US under the guise of attending a Global education meet organised by Shadwells, an educational management company operating from nearby Kakkanad.
Police had launched a probe after the US Consulate in Chennai unearthed the plot of Shadwells to send unskilled workers to US for attending a conference.
The company`s CEO Tom Boby and HR Manager Suby Kurien had earlier been arrested.
All the four were later produced before a Magistrate court at nearby Aluva.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest