Tallest Christ statue in India ready
Thiruvananthapuram: A 33.5-foot-tall statue of Jesus Christ, billed as the tallest in the country, is ready to be blessed on Saturday at the campus of the Mar Baselios College of Engineering and Technology here.
Made out of a mixture of resin, catalysts, fibre and wax by popular Malayalam film art director Premachandran, the statue has been placed on a 22-foot-tall building in the college campus.
"The work was finished in a record 35 days, with 30 workers working day and night. The project was taken up by the father Midhun Markose, a student who died in a road accident, to serve as a memorial," said the master sculptor.
A model of the statue was first made in clay and then a mould of it was prepared using plaster of paris.
"The fibre material is capable of withstanding the vagaries of weather and has been given a marble finish, besides a full painting using automotive paint to give it a good look," said the 47-year-old sculptor.
The statue will be blessed by Major Archbishop-Catholicos of the Malankara Catholic Church, Moran Mor Baselios Cleemis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown