Tallest Christ statue in India ready
Thiruvananthapuram: A 33.5-foot-tall statue of Jesus Christ, billed as the tallest in the country, is ready to be blessed on Saturday at the campus of the Mar Baselios College of Engineering and Technology here.
Made out of a mixture of resin, catalysts, fibre and wax by popular Malayalam film art director Premachandran, the statue has been placed on a 22-foot-tall building in the college campus.
"The work was finished in a record 35 days, with 30 workers working day and night. The project was taken up by the father Midhun Markose, a student who died in a road accident, to serve as a memorial," said the master sculptor.
A model of the statue was first made in clay and then a mould of it was prepared using plaster of paris.
"The fibre material is capable of withstanding the vagaries of weather and has been given a marble finish, besides a full painting using automotive paint to give it a good look," said the 47-year-old sculptor.
The statue will be blessed by Major Archbishop-Catholicos of the Malankara Catholic Church, Moran Mor Baselios Cleemis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet