Tallest Christ statue in India ready
Thiruvananthapuram: A 33.5-foot-tall statue of Jesus Christ, billed as the tallest in the country, is ready to be blessed on Saturday at the campus of the Mar Baselios College of Engineering and Technology here.
Made out of a mixture of resin, catalysts, fibre and wax by popular Malayalam film art director Premachandran, the statue has been placed on a 22-foot-tall building in the college campus.
"The work was finished in a record 35 days, with 30 workers working day and night. The project was taken up by the father Midhun Markose, a student who died in a road accident, to serve as a memorial," said the master sculptor.
A model of the statue was first made in clay and then a mould of it was prepared using plaster of paris.
"The fibre material is capable of withstanding the vagaries of weather and has been given a marble finish, besides a full painting using automotive paint to give it a good look," said the 47-year-old sculptor.
The statue will be blessed by Major Archbishop-Catholicos of the Malankara Catholic Church, Moran Mor Baselios Cleemis.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH