TDB resents blaming it for Sabarimala stampede
Thiruvananthapuram: The Travancore Devaswom
Board (TDB), which manages the Sabarimala temple, has come
out against putting all the blame on it for last week`s
stampede that claimed lives of 102 pilgrims.
In his first official statement on the tragedy, TDB president
M Rajagopalan Nair said the charge that lapses on the part of
the temple board had led to the stampede was far from true.
First of all the spot where the tragedy occurred was outside
the borders of the area under the control of TDB as it lay
at 13 km away from the northern periphery of the shrine, he
The mishap occurred when there was a heavy rush of pilgrims
at Pullumedu while they were returning home through various
routes after witnessing Makarajyoti.
The propaganda that the tragedy had occurred in the area
coming under the sphere of Sabarimala and that it was caused
by the failures of the temple board were contrary to facts and
extremely regrettable, Nair said.
Despite unprecedented increase in arrival of pilgrims this
season, the two-month long pilgrimage had been conducted
smoothly. The arrangements at Sannidhanam were made in
collaboration with all departments and TDB was grateful to all
agencies that extended their support, he said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid