TDB resents blaming it for Sabarimala stampede
Thiruvananthapuram: The Travancore Devaswom
Board (TDB), which manages the Sabarimala temple, has come
out against putting all the blame on it for last week`s
stampede that claimed lives of 102 pilgrims.
In his first official statement on the tragedy, TDB president
M Rajagopalan Nair said the charge that lapses on the part of
the temple board had led to the stampede was far from true.
First of all the spot where the tragedy occurred was outside
the borders of the area under the control of TDB as it lay
at 13 km away from the northern periphery of the shrine, he
The mishap occurred when there was a heavy rush of pilgrims
at Pullumedu while they were returning home through various
routes after witnessing Makarajyoti.
The propaganda that the tragedy had occurred in the area
coming under the sphere of Sabarimala and that it was caused
by the failures of the temple board were contrary to facts and
extremely regrettable, Nair said.
Despite unprecedented increase in arrival of pilgrims this
season, the two-month long pilgrimage had been conducted
smoothly. The arrangements at Sannidhanam were made in
collaboration with all departments and TDB was grateful to all
agencies that extended their support, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29