Tension continues as CPI-M activist attacked in Kannur
Kannur: A CPI-M activist was stabbed on Monday
while some houses were attacked by unidentified persons
as tension continued to prevail in parts of the politically
sensitive Kannur district today in the wake of the murder of
two BJP activists in new Mahe.
Manoharan, also an employee of the CPI (M) controlled A
K G Memorial Cooperative Hospital here, was injured when
he was attacked, allegedly by IUML workers, at Koran Peedika
early today, police said.
CPI (M) leaders here accused activists of IUML and Popular
Front of India, a Muslim outfit, of unleashing attacks on its
partymen following the murder of two BJP activists at New Mahe
locality on Friday last.
The CPI-M worker, with injuries on his hands and legs, was
shifted to a hospital in Mangalore.
Unidentified persons attacked houses of rival partymen and
vandalised select shops and a rice mill, at Koran Peedika,
Onaparmba and Pariyaram despite strong presence of
police deployed in the trouble-torn localities.
Meanwhile, BJP and RSS district leaders boycotted an all
party peace meeting held at Thalassery today even as the
Congress-led United Democratic Front leaders staged a walkout
accusing authorities of adopting ``casual approach`` on the
situation. They sought intervention of Home Minister Kodiyeri
Balakrishnan, who represents the Thalassery assembly
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!