‘Thachankary cannot be promoted as DGP’
Kochi: The Kerala government has informed the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) here that controversial IPS officer Tomin J Thachankary cannot be promoted as Director General of Police (DGP) since disciplinary proceedings were pending against him.
The statement in this regard was made by the government on Thursday before the CAT bench on a plea by Thachankary, IGP, seeking promotion as DGP.
The Central government had given sanction to prosecute Thanchankary in a case related to amassing of wealth disproportionate to his known sources of income registered by Vigilance and Anti Corruption Bureau, it was stated.
There were a series of allegations against Thachankary, besides criminal and vigilance cases.
The National Investigation Agency had also probed the official on charges of his meeting people with `doubtful credentials` while on a trip to the gulf countries, for which he had not taken the government`s prior permission, the government stated.
The government submitted that following the instruction issued by the Union Department for Personnel and Training, promotion could not be granted to Thachankary as disciplinary proceedings against him were pending.
The matter cannot be overlooked on the ground that various allegations against him had been pending since the past few years. The inquiry was getting delayed as he had challenged the proceedings before CAT and other forums, it was stated.
The government submitted that as per the guidelines for promotion prescribed by the Centre, there was no provision for provisional promotion to officers of all India service.
Thachankary, who had made the trip to gulf when he was Kannur IGP, had been suspended by the previous LDF government. He was later re-instated as Managing Director of the Kerala State Co-operative Marketing Federation after the UDF government came to power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor