Thekkady tragedy: Boat was not `water worthy`
Thiruvananthapuram: The Thekkady mishap
in which 45 tourists died could have been averted had the
boat, which had "serious structural defects", been tested for
its "water worthiness", a forensic probe has revealed.
The boat was unstable, not water worthy and had a
rightward inclination besides the fibre used was of poor
quality, said the report of K Mohanan, joint director of
Kerala Police Academy`s forensic department.
If the vessel`s water worthiness was examined before
it was cleared for the cruise in the Thekkady lake in the
Periyar Tiger Reserve, such a tragedy could have been avoided,
the report, submitted to IGP R Sreelekha today, said.
An experts` team led by Dr Parelal, head of the
department of shipping technology of Cochin University, would
visit Thekkady tomorrow for further inquiries.
Four persons, including steersman Victor Samuel and
Chief Inspector of Boats M Mathews, had been arrested in
connection with the September 30 incident.
All those who drowned were tourists from different
states including Tamil Nadu, Delhi and Andhra Pradesh.
Meanwhile, Kerala Tourism Development Corporation
(KTDC) chairman Cherian Philip said employees would not be
made scapegoats in the wake of allegations that authorities
were trying to put the blame on the steersman and two crew
members for the tragedy.
The steersman and two crew were suspended based on the
investigating agency`s preliminary report that they were
partially responsible for allowing eight people to travel
without ticket, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi