Thettayil will soon resign: Achuthanandan
Thiruvananthapuram: Former LDF minister Jose Thettayil (JD-S) may resign in the next two to three days in wake of sexual harassment case being registered against him by police and take a `proper stand` on the matter, CPI-M leader said.
"I hope Thettayil will take a decision to resign in two to three days. I hope he will take a proper stand on the matter," Opposition leader V S Achuthanandan today told reporters at a press conference here.
Achuthanandan said people of the country would not tolerate any incident that hurt women, an indicator of which was widespread protests in Delhi after the gangrape last year.
Asked if the LDF meet yesterday had discussed the Thettayil issue, he merely said certain suggestions had come up and that the general view was to allow Front partners take their own decision on the matter.
"The Front did not want to impose its decision on its partners. There is still time for talks," he said when told about JD-S view that Thettayil need not quit immediately.
Achuthanandan said it was a fact that parties have different view points on this matter. "But it is not possible to overlook the people`s protest on such matters," he said.
In her complaint, the woman alleged she was sexually abused by Thettayil and his son at a flat at Aluva near Kochi last year.
Thettayil, a former transport minister, is the first accused in the case and his son Adarsh the second accused in the case.
Thettayil had said he would face the case legally and that it was a `political conspiracy` against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation?
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi