Thousands of Ayyappa devotees take part in Pettathullal
Kottayam: Thousands of Lord Ayyappa devotees
participated in the ceremonial "pettathullal" (dance) by
Ambalapuzha and Alangad teams representing the maternal and
paternal lineages of the deity at Erumeli near here today.
The Ambalapuzha team members commenced their dance from
Cheriyambalam at noon after sighting the Krishnaparunthu bird
in the sky. They began their journey from Ambalapuzha three
days back after paying obeisance to the deity at the Sri
Krishna temple, trekking all the way to Erumeli.
The team danced its way from Chriyambalam Sri Dharma
Sastha temple to Vavar Mosque to pay reverence to Lord
Ayyappa`s trusted Muslim lieutenant Vavar and continued their
way to Valiambalam and then to Sabarimala after participating
in the feast at Pampa.
According to legend it was Vavar who stood with Lord
Ayyappa in the suppression of the demons through the killing
of Mahishasur, the demon king who was disturbing peace in the
abode of rishis.
They were received at the mosque by Wakf Board
authorities and leaders of local Muslim community.
Both the teams moved to Pamba through the traditional
forest path to participate in the Pampa feast and Pampa
Vilakku and also the Makaravilakku celebrations at Sabarimala
falling on January 14, which would mark the end of the annual
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls