Thousands of Ayyappa devotees take part in Pettathullal
Kottayam: Thousands of Lord Ayyappa devotees
participated in the ceremonial "pettathullal" (dance) by
Ambalapuzha and Alangad teams representing the maternal and
paternal lineages of the deity at Erumeli near here today.
The Ambalapuzha team members commenced their dance from
Cheriyambalam at noon after sighting the Krishnaparunthu bird
in the sky. They began their journey from Ambalapuzha three
days back after paying obeisance to the deity at the Sri
Krishna temple, trekking all the way to Erumeli.
The team danced its way from Chriyambalam Sri Dharma
Sastha temple to Vavar Mosque to pay reverence to Lord
Ayyappa`s trusted Muslim lieutenant Vavar and continued their
way to Valiambalam and then to Sabarimala after participating
in the feast at Pampa.
According to legend it was Vavar who stood with Lord
Ayyappa in the suppression of the demons through the killing
of Mahishasur, the demon king who was disturbing peace in the
abode of rishis.
They were received at the mosque by Wakf Board
authorities and leaders of local Muslim community.
Both the teams moved to Pamba through the traditional
forest path to participate in the Pampa feast and Pampa
Vilakku and also the Makaravilakku celebrations at Sabarimala
falling on January 14, which would mark the end of the annual
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional