Thousands witness `Lakshadeepam` at Padmanabha Temple
Thiruvananthapuram: Thousands of devotees from all over Kerala and other states on Tuesday thronged the famous Sree Padmanabha Swami Temple here to witness "Lakshadeepam" (lighting of one lakh lamps), marking the end of the 56-day centuries-old ritual "Murajapam".
The entire temple premises was lit up and the temple towers colourfully illuminated as part of Lakshadeepam.
The "Murajapam" ritual, initiated by the 18th century Travancore King Marthanda Varma and conducted once in six years, involves the ceremonial chanting of Rigveda, Yajurveda and Samaveda by scholars from various parts of the country.
After the start of the ritual, a large number of devotees and vedic enthusiasts gathered to have a glimpse of the event and worship Lord Padmanabha, the principal deity.
Around 200 vedic scholars from various mutts and ancient tantric families, chanted mantras. Cultural programmes were also held as part of the festival.
Scholars from Kanchi Kamakoti Peedam and Azhvancheri Mutt participated in the ceremony.
"Murajapam" means chanting mantras in turn. As per tradition, vedic matras are chanted in seven turns and each such turn comprises eight days, temple sources said.
The idol of principal deity Lord Padmanabha in a reclining posture, is adorned with traditional gold ornaments in the form of "kamalamala" and "sarapolimala" in connection with the ritual, managed by a trust run by the Travancore Royal Family.
Security in and around the temple was tight in the light of the recent recovery of a huge quantity of precious stones and jewellery, worth crores of rupees, in the underground vaults of the shrine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday