Tibetan delegation calls on Kerala Assembly Speaker
Thiruvananthapuram: A Tibetan delegation comprising members of their Parliament-in-Exile called on Kerala Assembly Speaker G Karthikeyan as part of a campaign to create awareness across the country on the situation in Tibet.
The six-member team of MPs, led by Gyari Bhutuk, visited the Speaker at his official residence on Sunday.
The Speaker told the MPs that Indians always had sympathies with the cause of Tibetans and shared their feelings about homeland. "What they are enjoying today is freedom in exile. We are their sisters and brothers," he said.
Three delegations of Tibetan MPs are now touring the country as part of their campaign. The south Indian delegation reached Kerala after visiting Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka.
They would also meet Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, Karthikeyan said.
The MPs invited the Speaker to visit Dharmasala, the seat of the Dalai Lama and the Parliament-in-Exile. The Tibetan population in India is concentrated in Dharmasala in Himachal Pradesh and Bailakuppa in Karnataka.
The `Parliament of the Central Tibetan Administration,` as the Tibetan Parliament-in-Exile is called, was set up in 1960.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...