Tight security measures for Kannur Assembly bypolls
Kannur: Tight security arrangements have been
put in place ahead of the Nov 7 bypoll to the Kannur assembly
constituency in the wake of alleged anomalies in fresh voters
list as the hectic electioneering came to a close this
The rival CPI (M) led Left Democratic Front and Congress
controlled United Democratic Front are engaged in one of
the keenest contests ever witnessed in the constituency where
UDF had been enjoying upper hand over the years.
The main contest is between UDF nominee and two-time MP A P
Abdulla Kutty, who was expelled from the CPIM some months ago,
and CPIM state secretariat Member M V Jayarajan.
Of the 119 polling booths,43 have been categorised as
"vulnerable", District Collector P B Salim said.
he Central forces would act upon the direction of a team
of election officials led by the Central observers, District
Collector and DSP, he said. The authorities would monitor 840
persons alleged to have provided "false" residence
certificates and ``hand print`` of the identified persons
would be taken to ensure that no bogus votes were cast.
Those who impersonate or produce fake identity cards
would be arrested, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?