Time ripe for floating third alternative: Gowda
Thiruvananthapuram: Holding that projecting Rahul Gandhi and Narendra Modi as PM candidates by Congress and BJP respectively was not going to ensure them majority in Parliament, JD(S) leader H D Deve Gowda on Sunday said the time was ripe for floating a third alternative by regional parties.
"This is the right time to form the so-called third alternative against Congress and BJP. For such a formation, the Prime Ministerial candidate is not an important issue as its thrust is on policies and programmes," Gowda told a press meet here.
While noting that results of the recent Delhi assembly elections were remarkable, Gowda said it was for Aam Aadmi Party to decide whether it would be part of the third alternative.
He said neither Congress nor BJP was going to cross the halfway mark in Parliament by projecting Gandhi and Modi as their Prime Ministerial candidates.
"As far as the third alternative is concerned, the issue of Prime Ministerial candidate is immaterial. There are leaders like Mulayam Singh and Nitish Kumar who are aspirants for the that post.
"In Tamil Nadu, AIADMK the other day adopted a resolution expressing the aspiration that its leader Jayalalithaa should become the Prime Minister,"the Janata Dal-Secular leader said.
What was to be done immediately by the regional parties was to sit together and work out a set of alternative policies and programmes, he said.
On a question on the role of Left parties in that process, he said the Left had always stood for such a programme-based formation.
Gowda, who headed the coalition government in 1996 at the Centre, said he was not aspiring to become Prime Minister again.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!