Toll rises to five in rain-related incidents in Ker
Kozhikode (Ker): With the recovery of two more bodies, the toll in landslips and flashfloods triggered by heavy rain in Kozhikode district has risen to five even as the government sought help of the Navy and National Disaster Rescue Force in relief operations.
Search for three more persons reportedly missing are in progress, officials said.
Naval sources said that two teams of naval personnel have already left for Kozhikode and Kannur districts.
Heavy rain had wrought havoc in Pulloorampara hill region of Kozhikode and Iritty in Kannur district.
The teams had been sent on request from the state government. Each team consists of five divers and a medical professional, naval sources said.
Bodies of two men, including that of an aged person, and a woman were recovered on Tuesday.
Earlier,a 75-year-old man, who was injured when flash floods washed away his house yesterday, succumbed to injuries in hospital today, police said.
The body of a three-year-old boy was recovered yesterday.
Rescue operations were hampered by the heavy rain in the morning, but with a let-up in the downpour at Pullorampara, relief works had been speeded up, sources said.
About 30 houses have been washed away in flash floods.
The downpour caused four landslips in Pullorampara and several roads were swept away while large boulders and stones fell on the roads. Two small bridges connecting the region to Kuttiyadi and Mananthavadi have been submerged.
Though there was a let-up in the rains that has been lashing Iritty in Kannur district since yesterday, heavy rains followed by landslips occurred in the region this morning, inundating low lying areas. About 120 shops in Iritty town were submerged, sources aid.
A team of National Disaster Rescue Force will arrive in Kannur shortly for rescue and relief work, officials said.
Home Minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan, who visited Iritty, told reporters government will take steps to mitigate the suffering of people due to rain.
Radhakrishnan, who was in Kannur in connection with an
all party meeting, said the help of the National Disaster Rescue Force and Navy had been sought for rescue and relief operations in Kannur and Kozhikode districts.
The minister said he was in close touch with Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, who is away in Delhi.
The meeting had been convened by the minister to discuss the situation in Kannur district, which witnessed violent incidents after the recent arrest of CPI(M) leader P Jayarajan in connection with the murder of an IUML activist.
Meanwhile in Delhi, Chandy said the state government would provide all help to people, who were affected by the flashfloods in Kannur and Kozhikode districts.
Chandy said he had been in constant touch with the respective district authorities.Since the prediction was that there will be more rain, government had sought the help of Navy and Disaster Management team, he said.
People, who were marooned as a result of the downpour in Pullurampara region, had been rescued last night, he said.
Officials said as a precautionary measure, the shutters of the Pazhassi Dam near Iritty were opened and people living on the river banks were asked to be vigilant.
The Vazhayuil bridge in Ayyankunnu panchayat was swept away in the rains.
Kozhikode city was also experiencing heavy rain since last night and district authorities have opened control rooms at the collectorate.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’