Tragic end to people`s poet Ayyappan
Thiruvananthapuram: It was a tragic end to Kerala`s people`s poet A. Ayyappan who died here under mysterious circumstances Thursday night with his identity remaining unknown till Friday afternoon.
According to the police, the 61-year-old poet was brought to the General Hospital Thursday night after he was found unconscious near the Thiruvananthapuram railway station. He passed away late in the night but his identity remained unknown to police and hospital authorities.
After his identity was ascertained in the afternoon, politicians and general public made a beeline to the hospital to pay their last respects to the people`s poet.
Ayyappan, known for his heart-touching poems and bohemian lifestyle, was on his way to Chennai to receive the Asan Puraskaram, one of the highest literary awards in Malayalam literature, for the year 2010, sources close to his family said.
Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan and Culture Minister M.A. Baby have condoled his death.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference