Tragic end to people`s poet Ayyappan
Thiruvananthapuram: It was a tragic end to Kerala`s people`s poet A. Ayyappan who died here under mysterious circumstances Thursday night with his identity remaining unknown till Friday afternoon.
According to the police, the 61-year-old poet was brought to the General Hospital Thursday night after he was found unconscious near the Thiruvananthapuram railway station. He passed away late in the night but his identity remained unknown to police and hospital authorities.
After his identity was ascertained in the afternoon, politicians and general public made a beeline to the hospital to pay their last respects to the people`s poet.
Ayyappan, known for his heart-touching poems and bohemian lifestyle, was on his way to Chennai to receive the Asan Puraskaram, one of the highest literary awards in Malayalam literature, for the year 2010, sources close to his family said.
Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan and Culture Minister M.A. Baby have condoled his death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi