Trawling ban in Kerala from June 15
Thiruvananthapuram: The 47-day ban on trawling by mechanised fishing boats during monsoon in Kerala would come into force from June 15.
Talking to reporters after a cabinet meeting here today, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said the ban would be from June 15 to July 21.
Fishermen rendered jobless during the period would be given free ration. They would also get financial assistance under the Fish Workers Welfare Scheme, officials said.
Trawlers from other states would be asked not to enter the state coast during the ban period.
The 25-year old practice of banning trawling in the state is in view of the gestation period of different species of fishes during monsoon.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hillary Clinton says Donald Trump wants US to `fear the future`
- Look what Karisma Kapoor has to say about sister Kareena Kapoor Khan’s baby
- Libya forces `retake` Benghazi district from jihadists
- HILARIOUS! Neymar fan caught in laundry room of Olympic team hotel
- Supreme Court to hear plea of Army doctors for raising retirement age