Trial stayed against 15 accused in Chandrasekharan
Kochi: Kerala High Court on Monday stayed the trial against 15 accused, including K K Rageesh, MLA and CPI(M) state committee member, in the case relating to the murder of Revolutionary Marxist Party leader T P Chandrasekharan.
Justice V K Mohanan issued the order while admitting the plea of the 15 accused.
They had challenged the dismissal of their discharge petitions by Special Additional Sessions Judge, (Marad cases), which is the trial court in the murder case also, and decision to frame charges.
The petitioners complained that they were "roped in" the case without any material. They had not committed any offence as alleged by police.
Evidence which was relied on by the prosecution to prove the charge against them does not in any way attract the ingredients of the offence, they submitted.
A mere help or assistance given to a person without any knowledge that he committed a crime is not enough to implicate them as accused, the petitioners contended.
There are 76 accused in the case. Trial is scheduled to begin on February 11.
Chandrasekharan, a former CPI-M leader from the party stronghold of Onchiyam in Kozhikode district, was murdered at Vallikkad on May 4, 2012. He was expelled a few years ago after falling out with the CPI-M leadership and later floated RMP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical