Truckers` strike hits movement of goods
Palakkad: Inter-state movement of goods was affected by indefinite strike launched by a section of truck owners to press their demands with the Kerala government including better treatment by Sales Tax officials at border checkposts in Palakkad district.
The strike called by All India Motor Transport Congress virtually brought to a halt movement of trucks between Kerala and Tamil Nadu through six entry points in the district, including Valayar, through which about 2,500 lorries pass every day.
The lorry owners` main demand is speedy clearance of inter-state trucks at the check-posts, especially at Valayar on the Kerala-Tamil Nadu border.
They claimed that inordinate delay in clearing the trucks and traffic congestions at check posts caused them huge loss, besides affecting timely delivery of goods to markets in Kerala from the neighbouring states.
Market sources said if the strike prolonged, supply of a range of essential goods, including rice, provisions and vegetables would be hit in the coming days.
The District Collector has called the truck owners for a discussion on their demands tomorrow.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray