Truckers` strike hits movement of goods
Palakkad: Inter-state movement of goods was affected by indefinite strike launched by a section of truck owners to press their demands with the Kerala government including better treatment by Sales Tax officials at border checkposts in Palakkad district.
The strike called by All India Motor Transport Congress virtually brought to a halt movement of trucks between Kerala and Tamil Nadu through six entry points in the district, including Valayar, through which about 2,500 lorries pass every day.
The lorry owners` main demand is speedy clearance of inter-state trucks at the check-posts, especially at Valayar on the Kerala-Tamil Nadu border.
They claimed that inordinate delay in clearing the trucks and traffic congestions at check posts caused them huge loss, besides affecting timely delivery of goods to markets in Kerala from the neighbouring states.
Market sources said if the strike prolonged, supply of a range of essential goods, including rice, provisions and vegetables would be hit in the coming days.
The District Collector has called the truck owners for a discussion on their demands tomorrow.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!