Tusker runs amok in Kerala temple killing toddler
Thrissur: A toddler was killed and 25 others injured in a stampede when a tusker ran amok in the festivities at the famous Koodal Manikkam Temple at Irinjalakuda in the district Sunday morning.
Police said two-and-half-year-old Yadu Krishnan was killed when panic stricken people ran for safety on seeing the angry elephant. At least 25 devotees were injured in the melee.
All the injured have been admitted to nearby hospitals.
Today was the last day of the annual festival and a large number of people had gathered at the temple.
Police said the elephant Kannan suddenly ran amok as it was being taken for the festival and waived its tusk hurting people nearby including a police sub-inspector. It started running and two other elephants standing nearby also ran.
In the confusion that prevailed, there was a stampede as panic-stricken people ran for safety.
The baby boy, who was with his grandmother, fell down and was killed in the melee, police said.
The grandmother suffered serious injuries and has been hospitalised.
All the elephants were brought under control by its mahouts.
About four years ago, an elephant belonging to the temple had ran amok killing three persons.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Rain plays havoc in Mumbai; heavy showers predicted for another week
- Anil Kumble dismisses having conflict of interest in becoming coach
- Air India to fly unconfirmed first AC passengers of Rajdhani
- Vijay Mallya to be declared PO if he doesn't turn up by July 27
- 7th CPC: Who else is going to benefit from central govt employees' pay hike?