Tusker runs amok in Kerala temple killing toddler
Thrissur: A toddler was killed and 25 others injured in a stampede when a tusker ran amok in the festivities at the famous Koodal Manikkam Temple at Irinjalakuda in the district Sunday morning.
Police said two-and-half-year-old Yadu Krishnan was killed when panic stricken people ran for safety on seeing the angry elephant. At least 25 devotees were injured in the melee.
All the injured have been admitted to nearby hospitals.
Today was the last day of the annual festival and a large number of people had gathered at the temple.
Police said the elephant Kannan suddenly ran amok as it was being taken for the festival and waived its tusk hurting people nearby including a police sub-inspector. It started running and two other elephants standing nearby also ran.
In the confusion that prevailed, there was a stampede as panic-stricken people ran for safety.
The baby boy, who was with his grandmother, fell down and was killed in the melee, police said.
The grandmother suffered serious injuries and has been hospitalised.
All the elephants were brought under control by its mahouts.
About four years ago, an elephant belonging to the temple had ran amok killing three persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez