Two fishermen dead in gunshots off Kerala coast
Kochi: Two fishermen in a boat were killed
after security detail onboard a merchant vessel fired at them
off Alapuzha coast this evening, suspecting them to be
pirates, police said.
The fishermen from Kanyakumari in Tamil Nadu had put out
to sea this morning from Neendakara in Kollam district.
A naval press release said personnel onboard `Enrica
Lexie` fired on the fishermen mistaking them for pirates and
that the vessel informed authorities about the incident.
The Coast Guard then launched two ships `Sumar` and
`Lakshmi Bai` and an aircraft to trace the ship, located it
and asked it to anchor off Kochi for a detailed investigation.
INS Kabra from the southern naval command was also put
out to sea for the operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!