Two fishermen dead in gunshots off Kerala coast
Kochi: Two fishermen in a boat were killed
after security detail onboard a merchant vessel fired at them
off Alapuzha coast this evening, suspecting them to be
pirates, police said.
The fishermen from Kanyakumari in Tamil Nadu had put out
to sea this morning from Neendakara in Kollam district.
A naval press release said personnel onboard `Enrica
Lexie` fired on the fishermen mistaking them for pirates and
that the vessel informed authorities about the incident.
The Coast Guard then launched two ships `Sumar` and
`Lakshmi Bai` and an aircraft to trace the ship, located it
and asked it to anchor off Kochi for a detailed investigation.
INS Kabra from the southern naval command was also put
out to sea for the operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen