Two Italian marines to return Friday: Lawyer
Kochi: Putting an end to all speculations, the two Italian marines, allowed relaxation in bail conditions to fly back home to celebrate Christmas, are scheduled to arrive in Kochi on Friday morning, their lawyer said.
Counsel for the Italian marines here told reporters on Thursday that the two are coming back much earlier than they were asked to report here.
"Since they were able to leave for Italy from here earlier than scheduled, they are coming back early. According to the relaxed bail conditions of the Kerala High Court, they need to report here latest by 3.00 pm on January 10," said the counsel.
Informed sources said that the two Italian marines are now on their way back from Italy on a special aircraft and will arrive at Kochi before noon Friday.
It was on December 22 that the two marines flew out of Kochi airport after fulfilling all the conditions put up by the High Court, which included a Rs 6 crore bank guarantee and also written assurance from the Italian government that it will ensure that the two return to face trial.
They have been charged with shooting dead two Indian fishermen, Ajesh Binki and Gelastine, on February 15, 2012 after mistaking them for pirates.
Among those who opposed their departure and expressed doubts if the two would return included the Communist Party of India-Marxist and other Left parties besides the kin of the killed fishermen and also fishermen organisations here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"