Two Kerala cardinals among those voting for new Pope
Kochi: Two cardinals from Kerala are among the four from the country to leave for Vatican to cast their vote in elections for a new pope to replace Pope Benedict XVI, the leader of the Catholic church, who has announced that he would step down in view of advanced age.
The 85-year-old Pope Benedict XVI, set to resign Feb 28, will be the first pope to resign in six centuries.
Sixty-six-year-old Major Archbishop of Ernakulam-Angamaly diocese of the Syro-Malabar Church, Mar George Alencherry and 53-year-old Rev Dr Moran Mar Baselios Cleemis Catholicos, head of the capital city-headquartered Syro-Malankara Catholic Church are the two from Kerala who will join two other cardinals from India to elect the next pope.
Incidentally, both the men from Kerala were only elevated to the post of cardinal last year, on different occasions.
Speaking to a news agency, the spokesperson of the Syro-Malabar Church, Fr Paul Thelekkat said the electoral college consists of 120 cardinals. Only cardinals below the age of 80 are eligible to cast a vote in elections for a Pope.
"Even though there are 211 cardinals, there have to be 120 cardinals who are under the age of 80. These 120 not only cast their votes to elect a new pope, but each one of them can also contest for the post," Thelekkat said.
The 120 cardinals huddle together in prayer ahead of the elections. Once the election process starts, they come out only after the new pope is elected from among them. This could take about five days.
When the election process is completed, white smoke emerges from the chimney of the Sistine Chapel, signalling to the world that a new pope has been elected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced