UDF demands probe into charges against CM, son
Thiruvananthapuram: The Opposition United
Democratic Front (UDF) in Kerala today demanded a detailed
probe into the charges against Chief Minister V S
Achuthanandan and his son V A Arun Kumar.
Addressing reporters here, UDF convenor P P Thankachan
said the Chief Minister`s son was facing charges of taking
bribe to help sandal factory owners, invovlement in the Smart
City deal and trying to sabotage the probe into lottery mafia
Former CPI-M state committee member P Sasi had alleged in
a letter to the party leadership that Achuthanandan had tried
to influence the judicial commission that probed the
Kalluvathukkal hooch tragedy when E K Nayanar was chief
Minister to implicate him (Sasi) in the case.
K Ramkumar, senior advocate at the High Court had also
alleged that the Chief Minister had `mediators` in Delhi to
deal with his cases. "All these are serious charges and have
been raised by persons in responsible positions. Hence a
thorough enquiry should be ordered," he said.
Describing Achuthanandan`s anti-corrupt stand as
`hypocritical,` Thankachan said the UDF would submit a
memorandum to Governor R S Gavai to direct the government to
order an enquiry into the allegations.
He said the UDF leaders, who met here last evening,
strongly protested the government`s stance in the assembly
yesterday by denying a chance for the Opposition to raise the
allegations in the House.
The Chief Minister`s speech after the Speaker announced
the decision to adjourn the session was against rules and
precedents. Speaker had been asked to remove the speech from
assembly records, he said.
Thankachan said the seat-sharing talks with partners for
the coming assembly elections would be held from March 8 to 12
at a stretch. A nine-member committee chaired by Congress
leader M M Hassan had been authorised to formulate the Front`s
To a question, Thankachan said the recent clash between
workers of youth wings of Congress and Kerala Congress-M at
Thodupuzha was unfortunate. He hoped that the seat sharing
exercise in the Front would be a smooth affair.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why