UDF govt trying to protect those accused in Suryanelli case: VS
Kozhikode: Leader of Opposition VS Achuthanandan on Sunday alleged that the Congress-led United Democratic Front government has always tried to protect those accused in the Suryanelli sex scandal case while in power.
Speaking to reporters here, he said it was during the CPI(M)-led Left Democratic Front regime that those accused in the case were punished, while UDF governments have always `protected` them.
On Defence Minister AK Antony`s remarks that the then LDF government had done nothing in the case, he said the victim`s family knew fully well what his government had done on the issue.
Antony had said that Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman P J Kurien had been absolved from the case by the Supreme Court and it was not possible for him to recollect what had happened 17 years ago since he was not a `human computer`.
The Union Minister had also said that he was not interested in joining the controversy and that "law should take its own course."
The girl from Suryanelli in Idukki district was abducted in January 1996 and was transported to several places across Kerala and sexually exploited by different persons.
Kurien`s name resurfaced in connection to the case after the victim wrote to her advocate on January 29 to explore possibilities of filing a review petition, seeking a fresh probe.
- Akshay Kumar escapes scorching Mumbai heat with his ‘partner in crime’ – Here’s how
- Uttarakhand forest fire under control, no death so far: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump's presidency will 'lead to another 9/11': South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham
- Ex-Australian priest John Joseph Farrell sentenced for child abuse
- Blasphemy case for 'desecrating' Sikh man's turban in Pakistan