UDF govt trying to protect those accused in Suryanelli case: VS
Kozhikode: Leader of Opposition VS Achuthanandan on Sunday alleged that the Congress-led United Democratic Front government has always tried to protect those accused in the Suryanelli sex scandal case while in power.
Speaking to reporters here, he said it was during the CPI(M)-led Left Democratic Front regime that those accused in the case were punished, while UDF governments have always `protected` them.
On Defence Minister AK Antony`s remarks that the then LDF government had done nothing in the case, he said the victim`s family knew fully well what his government had done on the issue.
Antony had said that Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman P J Kurien had been absolved from the case by the Supreme Court and it was not possible for him to recollect what had happened 17 years ago since he was not a `human computer`.
The Union Minister had also said that he was not interested in joining the controversy and that "law should take its own course."
The girl from Suryanelli in Idukki district was abducted in January 1996 and was transported to several places across Kerala and sexually exploited by different persons.
Kurien`s name resurfaced in connection to the case after the victim wrote to her advocate on January 29 to explore possibilities of filing a review petition, seeking a fresh probe.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says