UDF govt trying to protect those accused in Suryanelli case: VS
Kozhikode: Leader of Opposition VS Achuthanandan on Sunday alleged that the Congress-led United Democratic Front government has always tried to protect those accused in the Suryanelli sex scandal case while in power.
Speaking to reporters here, he said it was during the CPI(M)-led Left Democratic Front regime that those accused in the case were punished, while UDF governments have always `protected` them.
On Defence Minister AK Antony`s remarks that the then LDF government had done nothing in the case, he said the victim`s family knew fully well what his government had done on the issue.
Antony had said that Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman P J Kurien had been absolved from the case by the Supreme Court and it was not possible for him to recollect what had happened 17 years ago since he was not a `human computer`.
The Union Minister had also said that he was not interested in joining the controversy and that "law should take its own course."
The girl from Suryanelli in Idukki district was abducted in January 1996 and was transported to several places across Kerala and sexually exploited by different persons.
Kurien`s name resurfaced in connection to the case after the victim wrote to her advocate on January 29 to explore possibilities of filing a review petition, seeking a fresh probe.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof