UDF, media abuzz over Chandy`s proposed cabinet re-jig
Thiruvananthapuram: The Congress-led UDF and the media are again abuzz over Kerala`s proposed cabinet re-jig since Speaker G. Karthikeyan expressed his desire Friday to step down to return to active politics.
Chandy had set the ball rolling in March, announcing a cabinet reshuffle after the Lok Sabha poll results were out but nothing happened after the Congress suffered a debacle.
It has all begun again with political leaders jumping into the fray, thanks to an over-energetic media.
Senior Congress leader and United Democratic Front (UDF) convenor P.P. Thankachen said: "... the decision of Karthikeyan`s wish to step down will be decided by the party high command."
K. Muraleedharan, son of former chief minister late K. Karunakaran said: "Oh no, I do not want to be either the speaker or a minister, I am happy being a legislator."
Labour Minister Shibhu Baby John of the RSP(B) said: "... what I have come to know about re-jig is through the media only and hence am unavailable to make any comment."
Congress spokesperson M.M. Hassan said: "No discussions have taken in our party with regard to a cabinet reshuffle, so nothing can be said as of now."
The task before Chandy is how to go about it as in the Congress, the Ramesh Chennithala (Home Minister)-led faction is a bit rattled because if Karthikeyan, given his seniority is going to be accommodated, a plum portfolio has to be given.
This means one of Chennithala`s close aides will have to hand over either the revenue or the health portfolio.
Then comes the question of giving the RSP(B) -- whose numbers have risen from one to three in the assembly -- a better portfolio and also the demand of re-inducting K.B. Ganesh Kumar after he quit over marital issues last year. The duo have since separated officially.
With the Congress president in the US on a private trip and returning only after July 25, it appears the media here will have a rollicking time.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'