UDF passes first trial as Cong nominee is elected Speaker
Thiruvananthapuram: After coming to power with a slim majority last month, the UDF Government headed by Oommen Chandy in Kerala on Thursday passed its first trial in the
Assembly with Congress nominee G Karthikeyan getting elected as the Speaker of the House.
A senior legislator and former minister, Karthikeyan defeated CPI(M)`s AK Balan securing 73 votes against the latter`s 68.
The votes received by the rival candidates tallied the strength of their respective coalitions, which stood at 73-68 after the nominated Anglo-Indian member Ludy Luiz joined the
treasury benches. Luis took oath as MLA along with the 140 elected members yesterday.
The result was announced by pro tem Speaker N Sakthan who presided over the proceedings.
61-year-old Karthikeyan, a six-time legislator, was elected in the April 13 Assembly polls from Aruvikkara segment in Thiruvananthapuram district.
His experience, ability and acceptability within and outside the ruling coalition worked for his selection as Speaker, whose job is crucial considering the slender majority the government commands in the House.
Karthikeyan has served as minister in some of the previous UDF governments handling important portfolios like Power, Civil Supplies and Cultural Affairs.
He entered politics through the Congress` campus wing, Kerala Students Union, and later headed the Youth Congress in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'