Ultra Dalit outfit in Kerala under scanner
Thiruvananthapuram: Two suspected activists
of a Dalit outfit in Kerala have been taken into custody in
connection with the murder of a 60-year old man in Varkala
On definite clues, the police team probing the murder case
had also been asked by higher-ups to look into the activities
of the outfit, Dalit Human Rights Movement (DHRM), which has
reportedly recruited cadres across the state in last one year.
The intelligence wing of the state police was also looking
whether the DHRM had any links with Maoist outfits outside the
state and if its cadres had been given any kind of arms
training, police sources said.
There had been some tension between Dalits and a
particular backward community in Varkala area over the
desecration of a statue of a saint reformer mostly revered by
the latter. It was also alleged that certain Dalit activists
were being targeted by the police following the statue
desecration and the murder of the man on Wednesday last was
said to be a fallout of this.
The outfit, floated with the professed objective of
protecting human rights and civil liberties of Dalits and
other depressed sections, had been able rope in a sizeable
committed cadre from across the state, police sources said.
The focus of the outfit was said to be urban centres and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?