Ultra Dalit outfit in Kerala under scanner
Thiruvananthapuram: Two suspected activists
of a Dalit outfit in Kerala have been taken into custody in
connection with the murder of a 60-year old man in Varkala
On definite clues, the police team probing the murder case
had also been asked by higher-ups to look into the activities
of the outfit, Dalit Human Rights Movement (DHRM), which has
reportedly recruited cadres across the state in last one year.
The intelligence wing of the state police was also looking
whether the DHRM had any links with Maoist outfits outside the
state and if its cadres had been given any kind of arms
training, police sources said.
There had been some tension between Dalits and a
particular backward community in Varkala area over the
desecration of a statue of a saint reformer mostly revered by
the latter. It was also alleged that certain Dalit activists
were being targeted by the police following the statue
desecration and the murder of the man on Wednesday last was
said to be a fallout of this.
The outfit, floated with the professed objective of
protecting human rights and civil liberties of Dalits and
other depressed sections, had been able rope in a sizeable
committed cadre from across the state, police sources said.
The focus of the outfit was said to be urban centres and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened